Jefferson Township Curbside Recycling Program
| Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Office Phone Numbers
|Patty Romano, (973) 208-3639
Office Staff Email
DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER, UNLIMITED LEAF PICK UP HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL WEDNESDAY, 12/12. AFTER 12/12 THERE WILL BE NO VEGETATIVE WASTE PICK UPS UNTIL APRIL 2019.
THERE WILL BE NO TRASH OR RECYCLING PICKED UP ON CHRISTMAS DAY, TUESDAY, 12/25, AND NEW YEAR'S DAY, TUESDAY, 1/1. ALL RECYCLING AND TRASH WILL BE PICKED UP ON THE NEXT DAY; I.E. WEDNESDAY, 12/26, AND WEDNESDAY, 1/2.
THE RECYCLING YARD WILL BE CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY, 12/26. IT WILL BE OPEN ON SATURDAY, 12/22, AND SATURDAY, 12/29, FROM 9 - 2 FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.
CHRISTMAS TREES WILL BE PICKED UP ON THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAYS IN JANUARY: 1/9, 1/16 AND 1/23 - WEATHER PERMITTING. PLEASE PLACE THE TREES AT THE CURB BARE - NO LIGHTS, BAGS, OR ORNAMENTS PLEASE.
Garbage Collection Schedule: 2018 Garbage Schedule
Recycling Pick-up Schedule: 2018 Recycling Schedule
Recycling Pick up Schedule by Area
ACCEPTABLE (Printable Flyer)
- Newspapers and magazines placed in trash can (lid off) OR placed in brown paper bags with outer plastic bags removed
- Junk mail, mixed paper, paperboard and cardboard placed in brown paper bags OR reusable recycling container. Shredded paper should be placed in a transparent bag (not black) so that contents can be seen.
- Corrugated cardboard boxes flattened
- Commingled glass food and beverage containers
- Commingled metal (aluminum, steel or tin) food and beverage containers
- Commingled plastic food and beverage containers with recyclable symbol on container with #1, #2, #4, #5 and #7 ONLY.
All other plastic items are to be placed in the household trash.
Note: Please remove lids and rinse out containers. Do not put recyclables
in plastic bags. They will not be picked up.
UNACCEPTABLE (Printable Flyer)
- Plastic bags may not be used as recycling containers and will not be picked up (with the exception of plastic bags containing shredded paper)
- No Styrofoam (even if it has a recycling symbol on it).
- Broken glass, window glass, mirrors, dishes, ceramics, light bulbs, clay flower pots and similar unsafe objects, are not to be recycled
- Clothes hangers, pots, pans and similar metal objects, are not to be recycled
- Food trays, plastic utensils, toys and plant trays are not to be recycled
The hauler observes the following holidays:
New Year's, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
Recycling can also be brought to the Recycling Center:
Wednesdays, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Saturdays, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Additional Recycling Center Regulations
Hours Open to the Public
Wednesdays 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Saturdays 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Homeowner Construction Debris Disposal
- Disposal is allowed Saturdays, by appointment only, between 9:00 am and 1:30 pm. To schedule an appointment, Please call 973-697-1500 from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm Monday through Thursday.
- Sofas and Mattresses are not considered construction debris and are not accepted in the construction dumpsters. These items are to be disposed of on the second trash day.
- Be advised there is a limit of 30 appointments per week on a first call basis. During peak months the list is subject to be closed prior to Thursday.
- Maximum of one bed level pickup truck load per appointment per week.
- This program is available to Jefferson Township resident homeowners only. No contractors or commercial businesses permitted.
- Proof of residency is required prior to unloading.
. Vegetative Waste Pickup will begin on April 4, 2018 and continue
through December 12, 2018. Grass clippings and leaves are not
accepted at the Recycling Center. These items
should be recycled to your compost pile or placed curbside in brown
paper sacks for weekly collection on Wednesdays.
. Tree branches, twigs & shrubs may be brought to the Recycling Center
during operating hours only. (Tree stumps and trunk wood are not
accepted.) Branches are not to exceed 3" in diameter or 4' in length.
These items are also collected curbside on Wednesdays.
. Two bundles, cans or bags are allowed for collection on Wednesday.
Big, oversized landscaper barrels will not be emptied. (Bundles are not to
exceed 4' in length or 40 lbs. in weight.)
- Motor oil and other hazardous waste must be taken to the Morris County M.U.A. (by appointment only; call 973-829-8006)
- Furniture, mattresses and other bulk waste are collected curbside on the 2nd garbage pick-up day of the week. Residents are permitted to put out two (2) 32-gallon trash cans twice a week, or;
One Bulk Item with One Garbage Can will be collected on the second pick up day of the week.
Appliances and Metal Items
- Call 973-697-1500 to arrange for curbside pick--up.
- Air Conditioners, Refrigerators and Dehumidifiers contain Freon/CFCs. The Freon must be removed by a certified professional prior to arranging for pick up. The receptionist can give you the name and phone number of such a person.
- NJ Clean Energy does offer rebates for refrigerators (and other appliances) in working condition. Call 877-341-2192 to schedule an appointment or go online to njcleanenergy.com to obtain additional information.
- Accepted at Recycling Yard with a check payable to Jefferson Township. $4.00 per Passenger Tire (no rim) up to 19 inches. Tires with rim and larger than 19 inches are $7.00.
- Accepted at the Parsippany Transfer Station by calling (973) 808-9651
· Dry Cell Batteries
· Dry Cell Batteries (con't)
. TV's, computers, laptops, computer monitors will not be picked up by
the garbage company. They can be disposed of at the Recycling Center
along with fax machines, printers, and DVD players free of charge.
Latex Paint Disposal
.. . Take off lid. If can is half full or less add clay-based kitty litter or speedy dry to
can. If can is more than half full, empty excess into another container. Stir
mixture. Allow to dry until no longer pourable. Put dried out cans next to trash
on trash day.
For Recycling questions, call (973) 697-1500 or (973) 208-3639.