Vital Statistics  
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Page Navigation

VITAL STATISTICS OFFICE maintains all records of all births, deaths, marriages & civil unions occurring within Jefferson Township. The local Registrar may issue marriage licenses, civil unions and certified copies of all events occurring in Jefferson Township, with proper identification.

If you are planning to be married in New Jersey, the bride and groom must complete an application for a marriage license at the office of the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality in which either the bride or groom currently resides. 

If both the bride and groom reside out of New Jersey, the application must be made in the municipality in which the marriage is to be performed.  

When applying for a marriage license, both applicants must appear with a witness 18 years of age or older, and know both of the applicants.  Photo identification will be required from both applicants.

A birth certificate or passport is required from both the bride and groom.

If either applicant is divorced, a copy of the final divorce decree must be presented.

After the license application has been made, the Registrar will hold the license for 3 full days (72 hours) before the license can be issued.  The license can be picked up after the 72 hours; it will then be dated and will be valid for 30 days from that date, and is good anywhere in the State of New Jersey

The fee for a marriage license is $28.00.

The hours you can apply for a marriage license is 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday.

Please call the Registrar's office the day before or the morning of that you will be coming in to make application so as to ensure that there will be someone available to assist you.  973.208.6120 or 973.208.6122


Effective February 19, 2007

How to Apply for a Civil Union

  1. If both applicants are residents of New Jersey, applicants must be 18 years of age or older, the application can be made in the municipality where either applicant resides.
  2. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, application is made in the municipality where the ceremony will be performed.
  3. Couples requesting to renew their vows and /or place on file a certificate or reaffirmation of a civil union may do so provided the couple can provide proof that they previously entered into a civil union.

What you should bring with you when you apply for a Civil Union license:

  1. If either applicant has been in a former Civil Union or a terminated domestic Partnership, they must show termination documents of either.
  2. If your former spouse is deceased, please bring the death certificate,
  3. A copy of both applicant's birth certificate, driver's license, passport or state I.D.
  4. Proof of your residency.
  5. Your social security card or social security number.*
  6. A witness (18 years or older) who knows both applicants.
  7. The $28 fee.

*Your social security number is required by law and will be kept confidential

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

After you apply: There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar

The civil union application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.

Only one civil union may be granted from a civil union application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made.

For any additional information or to obtain a civil union application please contact the local Registrar at 973.208.6120.


Copyright © 2010 Jefferson Township. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Cit-e-Net