Property Tax Relief Programs
Homestead Benefit Program
APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED EACH YEAR
- To file applications by phone: 1-877-658-2972 - be sure to get a confirmation number
- To file applications online: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation
- To ask questions call 1-888-238-1233 (8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays)
- Online information: Find online information
- Email the homestead benefit if you have questions
- A check will NOT be issued, however, the benefit amount will be deducted as a credit from a quarterly tax amount. A revised tax bill will be sent to those eligible to receive this credit (tax quarter(s) to be determined by the State).
- Please pay extra attention to question #9 -
Do you still own the property listed in this package?If you sell your home after filing, be sure to take the amount of the benefit into consideration at the closing, as the benefit stays with the property not the owner. All questions pertaining to the calculations of this credit shall be directed to the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 1-888-238-1233.
Property Tax Reimbursement Program
Application must be completed each year
The Senior Freeze Program reimburses eligible senior citizens and disabled persons for property tax or mobile home park site fee increases on their principal residence. To qualify, you must meet all the eligibility requirements for each year from the base year through the application year.
Applications are typically mailed to the last address you filed with. Allow several weeks for mailing. If you do not receive your booklet by March 1, contact 1-800-882-6597.
Find contact information for the program:
- Find online Information https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/
- In-person assistance at Taxation Regional Offices
- Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for Hard-of-Hearing Users: 800-286-6613 or 609-984-7300 Taxation email address for general tax questions.
- To ask questions, check the status of a filed application, to listen to information, or to order an application call 800-882-6597 (8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except State holidays).
- To listen to information or to order an application call 800-323-4400.