Dial-a-Ride is a curb to curb transportation service for Senior Citizens that are residents of Jefferson Township 55 and over and/or permanently disabled Jefferson Township residents for medical appointments and local shopping. Call the Dial-A-Ride office at 973-208-6123 to receive additional information, a registration form and schedule transportation.
If it is imperative that you speak to someone immediately, please call the Recreation Department main number 973-663-8404, they will contact office staff on your behalf.
Please give a one business day notice for shopping days. Please give a minimum two business day notice for medicals.
The following services are available to all Jefferson Township Senior Citizen Residents (Must be 55 and over) and permanently disabled resident persons of Jefferson Township free of charge. We are wheelchair accessible, but not a medically certified transportation service. To arrange all appointments please call 973-208-6123 and leave a voice mail message with your full name, telephone number, address and the date and destination of where you are requesting to go. It would be greatly appreciated if you would leave your message between 9 am and noon the business day prior, weekends and Holidays don’t count.
- Shopping: (4 Bag maximum)
- Monday through Friday
- Local shopping at Acme, Milton nutrition site, beauty salons and local banks
- Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Rockaway Mall, Wal-Mart, Target and Shop Rite
- Monday through Friday
- Medicals: Transport for medical services is available 5 days a week. Any medical procedures including dialysis, surgeries, and/or any procedures that require anesthesia will be a one-way to destination drop-off only. Patients/clients are responsible for their own way home. We transport within a 12-mile radius of Jefferson Township. You may call in your medical appointments months in advance; however, we require at least two business days advanced notice on any medical appointments.
Inclement Weather Procedure
Please contact the Jefferson Township Dial-A-Ride office at 973-208-6123 if you decide to cancel your trip. If inclement weather occurs while you are on the Dial-A-Ride vehicle, the driver will decide to either continue the trip or return all passengers to their original locations. If inclement weather begins or is predicted after you have reached your appointment, the Dial-A-Ride Coordinator will decide if you will need to be picked up immediately or wait until the weather clears.
Please be aware that the safety of the passengers and the drivers is the first priority of the Jefferson Township Dial-A-Ride program. In dangerous weather, return trips may be cancelled and in this case, it is the responsibility of the passenger to arrange for the return trip by family/friends. You will be notified as soon as possible if such a situation arises.
Walkways and driveways must be cleared of all snow and ice wide enough to walk on. If the paths are not safe, the driver will be unable to make a pick up. No exceptions!
If Jefferson Township Schools are closed or on a delayed opening due to inclement weather situations, Dial-A-Ride is also closed/delayed.
- New Year’s Day - Wednesday, January 1st
- Presidents Day - Monday, February 17th
- Good Friday - Friday, April 10th
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 25th
- Independence Day - Friday, July 3rd
- Labor Day - Monday, September 7th
- Columbus Day - Monday, October 12th
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 26th
- Day After Thanksgiving - Friday, November 27th
- Christmas Day - Friday, December 25th
- Day After Christmas - Monday, December 28th