Firearms Information & Hours
The State of New Jersey is now accepting applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Pistol Purchase Permits electronically through the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) (PDF). FARS can be used for all firearms related applications except Permits to Carry. Carry Permits must still be applied for using the forms.
While completing your application in FARS, you will be asked for the Jefferson Township Police (JTPD) ORI number, which is NJ0141400.
In addition, during the application process in FARS, you will be prompted to make an appointment with IdentiGO for fingerprints. After you have been fingerprinted, a PCN number will be assigned and will be handwritten on your IdentiGO universal form and/or will be on the receipt you are given. The PCN Number and Date are necessary for JTPD to continue the application process, so you will need to provide this number to JTPD as soon after being fingerprinted as possible, in one of two ways:
- You may personally bring this documentation to Janice Geib in the JTPD Records Bureau
- You may scan and email the documentation
- Pistol permit: $2/per permit
- Firearms ID card (initial): $5 (Duplicate Firearms ID and change of address are free)
Check or exact change is required. Fees for your permit(s)/ID card are paid when you come to pick up your paperwork. Do not attach fees to your application paperwork when you drop it off.
If you need to make alternate arrangements or have any other questions, please contact Detective Sergeant Sean Krater at 973-208-6148.
- Permit to Carry A Handgun Application (PDF): Please read this entire packet of forms and instructions before completing anything. There are important notes throughout that will help you complete it properly. Please also note that all paperwork submitted must be signed by the applicant before being dropping off. Please attach a copy of your driver’s license and firearms id card to any application you submit. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Do not attach money in any form when you drop off your applications. Thank you.