GARAGE SALE PERMITS
The Township Council has amended the Township Garage Sale Permit Ordinance removing the “permitting” process. There are no Garage sale permits or fees, however, the rules and regulations are still law. If you know of any violations, please contact Code Enforcement at 973-208-3623.
Includes all sales entitled "garage sale," "lawn sale," "attic sale," "rummage sale" or similar casual sale of tangible personal property, which is advertised by any means whereby the public at large is or can be made aware of said sale. GOODS -- Includes any goods, warehouse merchandise or other property capable of being the object of a sale regulated hereunder.
§ 380-2. Location of sale; duration; postponement.
- No garage sale shall be held on other than a residentially zoned property as specified in the Jefferson Township Zoning Ordinance, except that sales on other than residentially zoned properties are permitted if the sales are being conducted by a bona fide charitable, eleemosynary, educational, cultural or governmental institution or organization.
- No more than two garage sales shall be held for any one piece of property within a twelve-month period, except there shall be permitted on a non-residentially zoned piece of property no more than five sales within any twelve-month period, provided that the sales are conducted by a bona fide charitable, eleemosynary, educational, cultural or governmental institution or organization.
- No garage sale shall be held for more than two consecutive calendar days; provided, however, that where the sale is to be conducted on a Saturday and Sunday and the sale shall be postponed because of inclement weather, the applicant will be permitted to hold the sale on the same day of the following weekend. Where the sale is being held during the week and the date is postponed because of inclement weather, the applicant will be permitted to continue the sale on the next clear date.
§ 380-3. Hours of sale.
- All garage sales shall be conducted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and dusk only.
§ 380-4. Signs.
- Signs shall be uniform in size and form, not exceeding 24 inches by 24 No sign shall be displayed upon the premises of the sale, nor any directional sign posted more than five days prior to the proposed sale.
- Any sign posted in conjunction with a sale shall be removed from view within 24 hours of the conclusion of the sale.